Now more than ever, it is so important to fortify our immune system by giving our gut the most wholesome and nourishing foods possible. Did you know that garlic has antibacterial and antiviral properties? Or that onions are high in vitamin C and also have antibacterial properties? Have you heard about fennel's anti-inflammatory, antiviral, antioxidant-rich reputation? Kale is the most nutrient dense food on the planet, cilantro lowers anxiety, parsley is rich in antioxidants, and lemons are immune-boosting powerhouses. Good to know since all of these healthful, nutritious foods are contained in the recipe below, borrowed from Liz Moody's book, Healthier Together. You can buy a copy here.
Actually Delicious Green Detox Soup with Toasted Hemp Gremolata
3 tbsp. high-heat oil (I used avocado oil)
1 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
1 fennel bulb, roughly chopped (fronds reserved)
1/2 tsp. fine-grain sea salt
2 cups chopped kale leaves
2 cups vegetabe broth
1 garlic head, minced
1/3 cup hulled hemp seeds
Grated zest & juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro
1/4 cup loosely packed fresh parsley
Freshly ground black pepper, to serve
1. Make the soup: Heat 2 tbsp. of oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. When it shimmers, add the onions, chopped fennel bulb, and 1/4 tsp. of salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions just begin to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the kale and cook, stirring occasionally, until it wilts, 3 to 4 minutes. If any browned bits stick to the bottom of the pot while cooking, add 1 tbsp. of water at a time to loosen them up. Pour in the vegetable broth and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cove. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Remove the pot from heat.
2. Immediately stir in two-thirds of the minced garlic, then let the soup cool, uncovered, for about 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, make the gremolata: Heat the remaining 1 tbsp. of oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. When it shimmers, stir n the hemp seeds, remaining 1/4 tsp. of salt, and remaining garlic. Spread the mixture into a single layer in the bottom of th epan, then cook, stirring and redistributing into a single layer occasionally, until the hemp and garlic are golden brown and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl. Chop the fennel fronds. Let cool for a few minutes, then stir in the fennel fronds and lemon zest.
4. Add the cilantro, parsley, and lemon juice to the soup. Transfer the soup to a blender, or use an immersion blender in the pot, and blend until very smooth.
5. Ladle the soup into 2 bowls and top with a generous amount of the gremolata. Garnish with pepper, if desired.